Full-Service Strategic Planning
You feel the need to align your company or business unit around a clearly defined and well articulated Strategy going forward. However, you currently do not have the in-house capacity and skill to lead your organization through a strategic planning process and you are weary of hiring a large firm due to the cost and the lack of ownership that can result from “them” creating the strategy.
Mystrategysource works with you to build a core team of internal resources, supplemented as needed by external expertise to guide the organization through the planning process. We jointly explore and agree on scope, timing, key milestones, resource commitments, and essential tools to be used during the planning process.
The result of the joint effort can include (subject to scope agreement):
- A creation or refresh of Mission, Vision and Values
- An assessment and clear documentation of the external and internal drivers of your strategic direction
- A thorough analysis and prioritization of business opportunities and ideas, including detailed risk considerations
- A concise articulation of the strategic plan including implementation requirements and indicators of success
- A comprehensive communication strategy tailored to various internal audiences from Board to Employees, and if needed external audiences like Regulators, Investors, Rating Agencies, or the General Public
- An implementation and support roadmap
Depending on the size and complexity of your organization and the chosen scope, the overall process can extend over several months. The pre-planning for this process should occur several months prior to the intended launch to ensure adequate preparation and mobilization of internal resources. Timing should be aligned with your needs to inform the following fiscal year’s budgeting and goal setting efforts.
Strategic Planning Guidance
You rely on an internal Strategy Team to lead your organization’s planning efforts. You are however not entirely certain that the experience and skill level of your team is adequate (e.g. only recently designated, recent loss of key resources, quality concerns in prior efforts) for the task in the upcoming planning cycle.
You would like to provide your team with an experienced Strategic Planning Coach to ensure your expectations are being met.
Mystrategysource will discuss with you the primary concerns and coaching needs for your internal team. The main idea is to empower them to lead the process visibly and comprehensively throughout the organization.
Guidance elements can include
- Upfront planning assistance (support in architecting the overall planning process)
- Review and potential upgrade of the Strategic Planning Tools being utilized by your team
- Observation and feedback during key elements of the planning process
- Availability for Q&A on an as needed basis
The agreed upon support mechanisms will be provided in advance of key milestones in your planning process. This can occur in person (both onsite or offsite) or remotely, providing for a cost efficient solution that enhances your existing capabilities. We can increase or decrease the level of support based on your organization’s satisfaction with the planning process and progress.
Strategic Refresh – Accelerated Planning
You have established a strategy that seems to be working very well, but it has been a while since your organization did go through a strategic planning process. You don’t see the need for a full scale effort, but would like to reaffirm that the key assumptions of your strategy still hold and that you are pursuing the highest value opportunities.
Mystrategysource can design a very selective process for your organization, either involving only select business areas which may be subject to a greater degree of change, or engaging your internal stakeholders in a brief, collaborative review of the following
- Critical assumptions on which the strategy was originally built
- Performance against key strategic objectives
- Balancing original objectives with new opportunities that have emerged
- Modified or enhanced strategy with a “communication refresh” approach through the organization
A refresh assumes that the key planning capabilities are in place and simply directs your team and resources to the most critical questions and topics that require validation. The outside facilitator’s primary role is to challenge existing assumptions that may have become “universally accepted” within the organization. The refresh process can typically be conducted through a series of compact working sessions involving the leadership team and key execution champions.
Building a Strategy Function and Capacity for your organization
Over time you have relied on various externally led processes to establish a Strategic Plan within your organization. You are not entirely satisfied with the loss of momentum that occurs after the “consultants” leave and the organization tends to fall back into a more operational mindset. You would like to build a sustainable capacity of planning and strategic support for your business.
Mystrategysource will help you understand the trade-offs of building an internal strategy function vs. relying on external resources including the following key considerations
- What is the expected resource need for your organization (planning, communication, implementation support, special projects)
- How will the workload vary over the course of the year
- What level of skills and expertise would be ideal for your organization
- How can you build career paths to attract and retain the desirable level of expertise
- What options exist to spread strategic thinking and planning skills throughout the organization
Working closely with your HR department and with prospective internal clients of a future strategy team we will jointly review proven programs, develop the ideal target state, and design a long term roadmap towards achieving this target state. A measured approach can help avoid “seesaw” patterns in hiring strategy talent and buy you time to develop internal candidates to the desired skill levels.